Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Setting the Pace

Yep, I am one of THOSE teachers who plans, plans, and then plans some more. 

I have tried to get other teachers on my band wagon, but i feel alone on this one, at least on my campus! I am the only one who sits down and plans my whole year out. 

Here's what i do.... I take some calendars and I make sure all of our holidays are written into the calendar. That means i go through and make a master calendar with minimum days, non-student days and all holiday breaks written in. This year i am using these cute calendars that are FREE on Teachers Pay Teachers! Thanks to Kindergarten Stars for making these adorable calendars free! Awesome! (You can see in pictures below that i usually use boring photocopied calendars.... ugh! (Glad to be rid of those!) There are a number of free calendar sets on TPT that you can easily download and get to planning your year!

Here's the process I take:

|one|

I write in all inportant dates by transferring the school calendar to my master calendar. This way i can figure out how long each unit will go for! 

|two|

I then photocopy my master calendar onto colored paper and each color is then used for a different subject! Here you can see three different colored papers all with the same calendar. 



|three|

Here's where it gets tricky. This seems like it would be too specific to my job to describe, but i basically sit down with a bunch of ideas for each subject and get to filling in the calendar. I use colored pens for different subjects too! This is the tedious part of the job. Once it is all done, it is such a relief! 

|four|

Then i use these calendars to fill in my entire lesson plan book! 

This will be interesting this year! So much to plan for! I got started on my Social Studies and Science planning today and have a couple weeks to work on the remaining (all the rest) subjects that i will teach in the coming year! Oh BOY!

Sidenote: I realize that not all teacher plan out their entire year. I need this to feel like i know how long to teach a certain topic. Also, please note that i MUST modify my curriculum due to the needs of my kiddos! I also have multiple grades within the same classroom! So much to do in such a short year! 

I hope that you might consider my method of planning. It is my version of a pacing guide which i know many districts provide. I am blessed because i get to make my own and plan my year from scratch! This is both and blessing and a curse in some ways! 

Hope your week is going well! 
Photobucket