Monday, January 23, 2012

New look! New Menu!

Busy as a Honey Bee has a new look! Thanks to Lee Lou Blogs for the free template that I really love! Let me know what you think! I have also added a few widgets to give my blog a little more structure! You can even see the blogs I follow and where I get inspiration!

One spot I found inspiration today is in my friend Jami's new blog! She is a Somewhat Domesticated blogger! I can't wait to read more and learn about all of her newly married adventures! So glad to have you join the blogging world again Jami!

So my hunger has also inspired this week's menu plans... this week we will be having a Santa Fe Chicken Salad and for dinner we will be having Lasagna Soup! The original recipe can be found when you click the link ... but here's my version --- I edited it to make it healthier! 

Lasagna Soup
INGREDIENTS
for the soup:
1-1/2 lbs. Italian seasoned Ground Turkey
3 c. chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 can tomato paste
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
6 c. chicken stock
8 oz. mafalda or fusilli pasta
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

for the cheesy yum:
8 oz. fat free ricotta
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper

2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

PREPARATION

Heat a large pot over medium heat and add ground, breaking up into bite sized pieces until the turkey is no longer pink. Add onions when the turkey is about half cooked and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.

Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy and absorb all the soup broth. You may even want to consider cooking the noodles separately, and then adding some to individual bowls before ladling the soup over them. This would be an especially smart move if you are anticipating any leftovers. 

While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.

To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.
Servings:  8



Last night's menu was fun as well.... Italian Style Meatloaf from my trusty friend Trader Joe's and I paired it with some fozen peas and small portions of pasta with butter and a little garlic! My husband loved it! 

I also realized that I never posted what the Three Bean Turkey Chili Ala Simone looked like! I wish I could have posted the smell... 'cause it smelled delicious!!! Here's the shot:

Hope you get to enjoy this yummy soup soon!