Monday, April 23, 2012

Simply Put: Serve!


Yep! It's time for my first link up with Lovely Little Things to stop and 

Lovely Little Things 

With all the change going on around here, it was a bit of short notice to meet a need. So, I am thinking that something I did a week ago to meet a need would count! Because my "meet a need" happened a week ago, I have no pictures! But I can most definitely share my experience! It's funny too, with all this talk of meeting a need; it even came up in church this week! I will share some of my reflections on that too!

So, a family within our church is in mourning and when that happens in our church we have a ministry that people can ask for help with meals. There are women, like myself, who have volunteered to cook periodically for others in need within our own community! You get the picture, I think!

The volunteer ministry uses this site to help us all sign up when there is a need! This can be used for a variety of volunteer events! 

Last week, I knew I it was definitely my turn! I usually cannot help out just due to a lack of time, but with spring break in full force, I excitedly signed up! So, Friday I had the meal cooked, stopped by the store to grab a quick dessert and then headed over to the family’s home!

I don't want to focus so much on the meeting the need as much as how important it is to give! There are so many people out there in need and we drive by them, talk to them and are even friends with people who are in need. There are needs we don't even see, but the truly important thing is that we serve those needs for people, even if it means just spending time with them. I am sure many people who linked up felt a certain amount of joy from their giving! Its amazing how it can be such a touching moment to help someone.  

So this last weekend church was about serving! Our pastor (you can find out more about him here) gave some tips on how to serve and I thought I would share them with you:
  1. Serve out of faith (John 8:31-32)
  2. Serve out of compassion (Matt. 14:14)
  3. Serve with your whole life  (2Cor. 9:11) 
  4. Serve in a systematic way  (1 Cor. 16:2)
  5. Serve freely (2Cor. 9:7)
  6. Serve outside your comfort zone
  7. Serve people who don't deserve it (Luke 6:35)


Hope you enjoyed my stop to Smell the Roses
Photobucket