Monday, April 15, 2013

Still Going After All These Years


Reading has been a hobby of mine since high school and maybe even before. It is definitely something my mother and teachers helped to develop over time. I remember sitting in my room for hours and hours on end and then eventually moving to the backyard to read and read and read. Pages and pages of books that i just could not put down. I still love to read, but my habits have definitely changed over the years! 
Even though i am still reading the same book as last month, I thought I would still link up and share some of my reading habits! Head on over to Taylor and Lesley's blogs to check out more reading habits! 

Pink Heels Pink Truck
What are you currently reading? 

I am still reading How to Bake a Perfect Life and it has finally gotten good! Even still I am not reading as much as i would like! Life just seems too busy and finding time to read can be a bit tough! 

Amazon or brick and mortar? Locally owned bookshop or big name chain store?
I love brick and mortar book stores! Love to go there, but lately I have been buying all my books as digital copies. I feel it is just easier since i have that thing with me pretty much all the time! When i do go to a book store, it's Barnes and Noble for me. It seems like there are fewer and fewer options when it comes to great small book shops! Sad! 

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Typically a book mark does the trick for me! 

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
I order my books randomly! Currently they are in the "however they fit in a box" order! That's right they are all packed away in a box or two in my garage! 

Keep, throw away, or sell?
If it's a favorite book, i tend to want to keep it, but I am learning that i don't want to have to store the dust collectors! Thinking i might begin to sell my books when I'm done with them as soon as we move and unpack that garage! 

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Read with dust jacket or remove it?
I hate that darn dust jacket! It always seems to get in the way, that is when i am reading a hard covered book! I am usually reading a paperback. I prefer them! 

Short story or novel? Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?
Um, all of the above. I love fiction and biographies are pretty awesome too! 

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
I usually stop when i can't keep my eyes open anymore and if that happens to be when a chapter begins or ends, then great! 

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Not one for mysteries and suspense in the books i read, so i would say that i lean more towards "Once Upon a Time"!

Buy or borrow? New or used?
Love to borrow and buy used books! I love that the pages are broken in and that someone before you really enjoyed that page and cared to turn it!  I have a few friends that don't believe in keeping books on shelves and often give away stacks of books to share with friends! Love that! 

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?
I like to go off of recommendations from friends, especially ones that have similar reading tastes! My book club gals always seem to have some good ones that I should definitely add to my list! I love to browse too! But finding the right one can be quite overwhelming! 

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
There's nothing wrong with a little bit of both! 

Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?
Depends on if I am working! Breaks from work make me a reader of any time! 

Single volume or series?
I haven't read many series, at least not in their entirety. I got to about book 5 in the Harry Potter series and have read a lot by a few single authors but not many series. It seems whne i read a book i truly enjoy that is just a single volume, I then wish it was turned into a series! This is truly how I feel about The Help! 

Favorite series?
See previous question. 

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Hmm... tough question for me. A lot of what i read is pretty well known. That and I'm having some difficulty figuring out what i have read! Ok so, here's one not many know about: 

Loved how funny and educational this book was! It really made me think twice about how things are presented to people who are new to our country! It isn't always a pretty picture no matter which country one is trying to assimilate to! 

I may have different habits than what I had when i first began enjoying books, but i still love to read and this summer, with a whole 4 weeks off, I plan to read a bunch! Can.not.wait! 

What are some of your reading habits? 
Photobucket